San Francisco home care clients and the community at-large, do you suffer from urinary incontinence? At Home Care Assistance San Francisco we know that this can be a distressing and common problem—one that can have a significant impact on quality of life. The good news is that there are various treatment options available and behavioral changes you may consider to reduce symptom severity. Here we list five things that can aggravate incontinence issues:
- Too Much Sugar: Though not well studied, some evidence suggests that foods containing honey, corn syrup, and fructose can aggravate your bladder. This doesn’t mean you have to eliminate sugar entirely—experts say eating a balanced diet is key.
- Citrus Fruits: This might be the most surprising part of the list. Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruits can irritate the bladder. It’s the acidity that worsens incontinence symptoms.
- Caffeine: Caffeine is a diuretic, which means it promotes the production of urine, and irritates the bladder. Try to avoid caffeine as much as possible—this means limiting coffee, tea, soda and chocolate.
- Alcohol: Alcohol, like caffeine, is a diuretic. Even moderate consumption of alcohol can make incontinence worse.
- Unbalanced Fluid Intake: Drinking too much liquid, unsurprisingly, can worsen incontinence. This doesn’t mean you should necessarily drink less throughout the day–lack of water can cause dehydration and other side effects. Try to follow the recommended balance—eight 8-oz. glasses per day and avoid drinking too close to bedtime.
If you or a loved one suffers from incontinence and needs assistance with the activities of daily living, consider contacting an expert San Francisco in-home care agency like Home Care Assistance San Francisco. We provide professional and reliable San Francisco live-in care and San Francisco hourly care.